The Grampian Club (Est. 1927) is a mountaineering, climbing and hillwalking club based in Dundee, Scotland. It is one of the area’s largest hillwalking and climbing clubs with a membership of about 230 and a long tradition of welcoming new members who share a love of the hills.
The Grampian Club enables members to participate in mountaineering, hillwalking and climbing activities through a program of day, weekend and indoor meets, informally organised indoor and outdoor climbing, and a range of social activities of interest to members.
More specifically our activities include:
- Day Meets – monthly except July and August – include coach transport with organised walking groups.
- Weekend Meets – at least 6 throughout the year – usually explore more distant ranges and are typically based in hostel accommodation.
- Climbing Group regularly visit local crags during the summer, and usually revert to Avertical World in the winter.
- Indoor Meets – monthly except June, July and August – are organised in Dundee and we welcome a wide range of guest speakers with presentations from around the world.
- We are also fortunate enough to own 2 fantastic properties, Inbhirfhaolain Hut in Glen Etive and Newton Cottage in Torridon which are available for the use of club members throughout the year. The Cottage is restricted for use by Club Members and their guests only whilst the Hut can also be booked by other clubs.
Club membership remains at a very reasonable £30 per year which, believe it or not, includes membership of Mountaineering Scotland. This includes public civil liability insurance cover whilst on the hill, access to a wide range of training courses and events, access to mountain huts and a whole range of discounts – for more information check out the Mountaineering Scotland website. If you are already affiliated to Mountaineering Scotland then membership of the Grampian Club alone is only £15. (Fees for joining throughout the year are calculated on a sliding scale).
You do not need to make a big commitment straight away as non-members are welcome to attend up to two of our meets as a guest before committing to join the Club.