The Club Hut
The club hut in Glen Etive, Inbhirfhaolain, is a basic but comfortable climbing hut, sleeping 13 upstairs on a double sleeping platform, supplied with mattresses.
Downstairs has a large dining table, chairs and a bench with several armchairs and a wood-burning stove. The main entrance porch can also be used as a drying area and there is an attached kitchen with electric stoves and a fridge.
Water needs to be carried from the nearby Fhaolain River and there is a composting toilet next door with great views to Beinn Starav (if the door is left open!). The hut is well placed for Glencoe and the Etive hills with easy access to great walking and rock climbing and is open to members and other clubs affiliated to Mountaineering Scotland (MS), Mountaineering Ireland, or the British Mountaineering Council (BMC), and is in considerable demand at weekends so very early booking is advised.
Inbhirfhaolain is listed in the MS Huts list and details of contact are there. Evidence of membership of BMC and or MS affiliation (via a Club or individual membership) is essential-if only for insurance purposes, bookings cannot be accepted otherwise.
The hut is ideally placed to give access to the Glencoe and Glen Etive hills. Within 10km are the 1000m+ summits of Bidean nam Bian, Buachaille Etive Mor, Meall a’Bhuiridh, Ben Starav and Stob Coir’an Albannaich. The Trilleachan Slabs are at nearby Loch Etive.
Summary of Conditions of Let
- No overcrowding; no more than 13 people can stay in the Hut overnight.
- All bookings are exclusive, and the booking party or individual shall have the use of the whole hut. Payment is due only for the bed nights actually used, not necessarily the whole hut.
- The Fire Precautions (Notices displayed in the Hut) must be observed.
- The Hut must be secured whenever left unattended and on departure.
- Any damage or breakages must be reported to the Custodian as soon as possible.
- The departure routine must be followed: leave the Hut clean and tidy and take away any garbage and spare food; switch off the electricity and secure.
- User groups which include children (under 18) must have a Child Protection Policy and should follow good practice guidelines.
The Hut may be unsuitable for people with certain disabilities. If in doubt please check with the Custodian before confirming your booking.
A booking deposit of £30 is required to be paid before the booking can be confirmed.
There are 13 bed spaces available. The charge is £7.50 per person per night. There is also space for camping at £4.50 per person per night. The combinations for the key safe and the drive chain padlocks will be supplied 1-2 weeks prior to booking date. Please ensure both external doors are locked, keys replaced in safe, and the chain secured across the drive when you leave. Payment for the balance of the payment due should be made within two weeks of the end of the period of let. All payments should preferably be made by direct transfer, or alternatively by cheque (payable to ‘The Grampian Club’) sent to the Hut Custodian.